It’s the most wonderful time of the year once again!
No, not Christmas, the Angry Robot Open Submissions Period!
If you’re an SFF/horror writer without agent representation, this is YOUR chance to submit your novel-length manuscripts to Angry Robot Books!
In recent years our Open Submissions have led to publication of acclaimed and award-nominated novels including Shrouded Loyalties
, The Light Years
, and The Imaginary Corpse
, and as always we’re excited to see what gems are sent in by budding authors this time around. As an imprint devoted to publishing the very best in genre fiction from the very widest range of voices, we particularly encourage those from minority and underrepresented backgrounds
to send us their work.
The 2020 Open Subs period will run for two weeks, from 12:00am BST (British Summer Time) Mon Jul 6th to 11:59pm BST Sun Jul 19th – there’s no preference of any kind given to early submissions, so please do take the time to polish your submission documents before sending them in!
What we’re looking for:
What we’re NOT (currently) looking for:
- novel-length works (60k words minimum) only
- science fiction, fantasy, and horror. From old-school to modern, pulpy to literary, classic to cross-over, if it’s genre, and it’s good, then we’d love to read it! You can check out our complete publication list here to see how wide our tastes run
- adult fiction
- one submission per author, so take this as an opportunity to send us your best work!
- finished manuscripts only
How to submit
- short story collections, novelettes, novellas, noveltinos, or anything else that’s not a novel
- young adult or new adult fiction
- works in progress
- works that have been submitted to our Open Submissions in previous years, unless they have undergone significant reworking – think a major rewrite/structural edit, rather than just tinkering here and there.
- previously published works (including self-published)
Send your submission documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
, any time between 12:00am Mon July 6th BST (British Summer Time) and 11:59pm BST Sun Jul 19th.
To meet the submission guidelines, you’ll need to send us:
- A cover letter introducing yourself and pitching your work (600 words max)
- A separate MS-Word compatible doc including your work’s synopsis (one page max), and its first three chapters or first 15 pages (whichever is longer)
If we like what we read, we’ll get in touch to ask to see the full manuscript, and go from there!
Please note, the Open Submissions period is exclusively
for authors without an agent – if you do have an agent, and you’ve got a manuscript you’d love to send to Angry Robot, ask your agent to send it to email@example.com!
Thanks very much lovely humans, we’re excited to get a taste of your amazing stories!